Monday, April 18, 2011



Only a few more weeks and hopefully I will be back to walking!!  I have NEVER missed something so bad in my whole life.  I have always been someone that walks fast and drives fast.  Everyone is telling me that I have to learn to SLOW down.  When you have been used to doing things quickly now they tell you to slow down.  HM!!

Through this whole experience I have went from surprise to a very low depression.  I have an awful problem of claustropbia.  It just seems to be getting worse as I age.  I have been very confined lately since I fell and broke my ankle.  I cannot walk and that really does confine you. 

It finally got so bad that I had to have some medication to make it through each day.  The cast can be very tight and along with not being able to walk that equals into a depression for me.  My cast is now off and I am in a BIG black boot (very fashionable).  It is 100% better than a cast for sure!!


Through all of this I have tried to look for the blessings.  Along with that though I have noticed how I feel.  Being in a wheelchair just seems to open up your eyes to all that is around you.  Trying to get into a door at a store or a bathroom, sitting and having to look up at everyone as they stand around you talking (feel like a little kid again).  Trying to go into church and realizing that the aisle in front goes straight down and my brakes do not work like that.  Trying to get into a bathroom and the door will not completely open or at least will not let me in right away.  The handicap bathrooms are wonderful.  In a car, the handicap placard is wonderful.  One thing though that I have noticed is that there are lowered levels on the sidewalks that are extremely important.  With this handicap I will never look at people in wheelchairs and on crutches the same again!!


I have learned several lessons.  Be kind to everyone that need help getting in a door...etc.  I have always done that but it makes me look even more at these people and want to help them more.  I have learned that Patience is quite a goal.  I have had to endure this painful word every day now for 5 weeks and counting!!  I have learned family is wonderful.  What I would have done without my family...well I just cannot imagine that.  I have had great care from everyone.  My hubby is my hero!!  Always has been and through all of this he has taken the best care of me.  He cooks, washes dishes and clothes.  I cannot thank him enough. Our oldest granddaughter, Brie, stepped in right as I got home from the hospital.  She was just a dear helping me do things like a shower.  Poor girl!!  I felt sorry for her to have to see more of her grandmother than she should EVER have to see.  She is studying to be a nurse someday!!  She is going to be a gem at it!!

As I said, today is my 5th week on this long long journey!!  It sounds like I have about 1 more month before I will be standing up and walking.  I am really looking forward to this!!  WHEW!!  Just to walk again!!

Now next I am facing a rotator cuff operation!!  Will this "LUCK" of mine ever quit???  I am hoping to put it off for a little bit!!  I need to get back to walking and being me for a bit.  I have heard that it is not so bad...Guess I will see!!

That's the big news from me now.  Yeap I am rambling but that is what I do best!!



Thought for the day:  Handle your present with confidence.  Prepare for the future without fear.  Keep the faith and drop the fear. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Sandy! Love that Boot!!! Not! I had surgery a few years ago and I remember that fashion statement! It goes with ....NOTHING! And Easter is next week! Maybe you could tie some pretty ribbon on it.LOL!

    ReplyDelete