Sunday, October 17, 2010

Fun on the Farm


Fall is here.  What do you think about when you think of Fall?  Well, here in Illinois I know it is falling leaves; pumpkins, corn, pumpkin pie, apples and apple cider!! 

I love to decorate for Fall.  This past weekend our daugher, Becky and two kids, Madison and Garrett decided that we needed to go visit an apple farm.  

We found one not very far from us!!  The kids were so excited to be able to go somewhere to run and have a fun day!!

Once we got there and paid our money to come in, we noticed that it was just a big family farm that had been turned into things for city kids to do.  Funny how the things that I grew up with in the country are now fun things for kids to do..Plus their parents have to pay for it!!  My brother and I did a lot of things that were there yesterday.  We did not know then that what we were doing just to have fun would someday have parents PAYING so that their children would know about what we did every day!!



They had a mock (hay loft) where the kids jumped into hay!!  Big hay bales were decorated and made into this really high castle that you can climb all the way to the top.  They even took a big black farm tile and constructed it into a big slide.  Kids were running all over just loving this 'New adventure.'  Seemed so odd to me to sit there and see all of this stuff. 



There were alpacas, an old donkey, baby goats that were just born about 3 days ago, a big sow that was feeding her babies and chickens (not my favorite animal)!!  I never liked them when I was growing up.  Still don't!! 



There were tons of mums; pumpkins, and gourds.  I remember when my dad would grow grouds over the out house!!  They grew really well there of course!!  Maddie and Garrett were so happy to see all of the shapes.  Madison bought a big one and called him "Gordon, The Gourd". 

We ended up bringing back some gourds, pumpkins and ate some pumpkin donuts and some cider. 

There was also a Corn Maze.  I used to play in the corn and probably almost got lost a lo of times but this was the first time I had ever been in one like this.  I would never have gotten out of there without our fearless leader, Becky.  I am not a directional person at all but she can get almost anywhere...even through a corn field. I just followed..Garrett ran around throwing corn cobs which he called Kernel Corn (??).  I got this cute picture of him..
Where's Waldo..I mean Garrett

The wind was blowing right across the prairie but the day was just gorgeous!!  We have had the prettiest October!!  I think it is God's way of giving us here in the Midwest a great month before the terrible winter sets in. 







                                                      Garrett really was happy..this is just him!!

I really LOVE the Fall!!  I guess I never knew just how much until I have moved back to it!!  I am still not
ready for what is ahead!! 

Have a great October everyone!!


2 comments:

  1. Sounds fun! I first discovered the real changing of seasons when we moved from California to Indiana. I LOVED fall there! And yes, the snow, ice and cold followed, but it was worth it, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it sounds like you are settling in nicely! :o)

    ReplyDelete